CHICAGO — November is synonymous with the start of the holiday season — Thanksgiving — so American Laundry News asked its Wire recipients this month to share the parts of the laundry business for which they give thanks, and those that make them feel less than thankful.
Our unscientific survey found that 87.1% of respondents agreed with the statement, “I’m thankful, because our operation is performing well.” No one disagreed, and the remaining 12.9% were unsure.
More than 90% agreed somewhat (48.4%) or completely (41.9%) with the statement, “Our [end-users or clients] appreciate our service.” The remainder neither agreed nor disagreed.
Respondents’ positions on equipment were more varied. As for “Our equipment works well, and isn’t a concern,” 45.2% “somewhat agree” with the statement while 35.5% “completely agree.” Approximately 10% “somewhat disagree” and 3.2% “completely disagree.” Approximately 7% neither agree nor disagree.
The biggest “turkeys” — the headache-causers for these laundry operations — varied even more. The employee(s), management, and textiles supplier categories each garnered 13.3% of the votes, while the equipment, end-user/client, and government regulator categories each received 10%. No respondents pointed to an equipment distributor, chemicals supplier or laundry services competitor as their biggest headache.
The “Other” category actually got the biggest share at 30%, and included several different “turkeys,” including administration, a lack of business, the unstable economy, the contracting of services, and open enrollment for benefits that must be done via computer.
Survey-takers were asked how confident they were in next year being better for everyone. More than 70% are confident (38.7% completely, 32.3% somewhat) that it will be. Approximately 7% disagree somewhat that 2010 will be better, and 3.2% disagree with the notion completely. The uncommitted, those who neither agree nor disagree, accounted for 19.4%.
Lastly, the survey invited respondents to name one aspect of their service for which they give thanks every day. Many replies, but not all, related to personnel:
While the American Laundry News Wire survey presents a snapshot of readers’ viewpoints at a particular moment, it should not be considered scientific.
Subscribers to American Laundry News’ Wire e-mails — distributed weekly — are invited to participate in an industry survey each month. The survey is conducted online via a partner website. Each survey is developed so it can be completed in 10 minutes or less. Readers are encouraged to participate, as a greater number of responses will help to better define operator opinions and industry trends.
Click here and follow the menu instructions to sign up for the free e-mail service.