DURHAM, N.C. — The American Reusable Textile Association (ARTA), in conjunction with the Textile Rental Services Association (TRSA) and North Carolina State University, has finalized the selection of speakers for its healthcare seminar this spring.
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club will host The Insider’s Guide II: Reusable Medical Textiles — The Role of Textiles and Successful Pack Room Operations, a hands-on, two-day seminar, on Wednesday and Thursday, April 30 and May 1.
While ARTA’s focus during its inaugural seminar two years ago was on processing and marketing, this year’s event promises to go deeper into the details and specifics of running a successful healthcare laundry.
The seminar will give special attention to the role of textiles during surgical intervention and how to develop a successful pack room operation.
Speakers will include:
• Keynote speaker Lynne Sehulster, Ph.D., M(ASCP), of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who will kick off the seminar with a discussion on surgical outcomes and infection control;
• Cindy Molko, director of linen and central services for the Mayo Clinic, who will address the role of customer service and working with surgical staff;
• Connie Sackett, RN, who will provide a clinical perspective on product selection and the use of reusable and single-use products;
• Peter Brown, W.L. Gore, who will discuss protective attire for surgery: U.S. standards, test methods and selection;
• Jim Sprout, Standard Textile, who will discuss pack room productivity from an industrial engineering point of view;
• Steve Tinker, Gurtler Industries, who will speak on laundering and how to balance quality requirements and productivity needs.
TRSA President/CEO Roger Cocivera will once again serve as master of ceremonies.
ARTA members who register by Feb. 25 will receive a discounted $495 rate. After that date, the registration fee will be $595. Nonmember rates are $595 and $695, respectively.
ARTA has negotiated a special $199-per-night room rate at the hotel (800-443-3853, refer to Group No. 118709), which will be good through the weekend for those who wish to stay, golf and see the sights.